The times are changing and changing fast. Gone are the days where a regular 9-5 office job can be defined. Technology has made it so that we can not only work from anywhere in the world but also improve our health in the process.
Most office jobs are associated with bleak lighting, bad health, and monotonous tasks. However, that’s simply no longer true. Your computer went from being a basic calculator to one of the most powerful machines on earth. There is no reason why the health of a person working an office job ten years ago should be the same today.
Fortunately, technology doesn’t leave anything out as it advances. Your health is at the top of the innovative list. Between standing desks and under-desk ellipticals, your health is no longer at risk due to the 9-5 office job. Whether you are sitting in an office building or working from your laptop in Bora Bora, you can get those steps in.
There are quite a few under-desk ellipticals and bikes that will make a good match for you. In this article, we will go through the various options available, their features, the pros and cons, and what might make it a good option for you. Let’s get started!
The Best Under Desk Ellipticals & Bikes Reviewed
|Our Top Pick||DeskCycle Under Desk Cycle|
|Alternative Top Pick||Cubii Pro|
|Best Budget Option||Vaunn Medical Folding Pedal Exerciser with Electronic Display|
Our Top Pick: DeskCycle Under Desk Cycle
Our Top Pick
The main selling point of this unit is the size. It is large enough that it gives you a great workout but it is small enough to fit lower desks. Whether you have a taller desk or a smaller design, this unit should work perfectly in your workspace.
If you are looking for an under-desk elliptical or bike, you really can’t go wrong with DeskCycle. They have been paving the way for under desk exercise equipment from the beginning.
Machines like theirs are designed to not only keep your body physically healthy but also your mind. You will be burning calories and improving your overall productivity at the same time.
What We Like:
- Patented Magnetic Resistance Mechanism | This mechanism creates a smooth pedal motion which will not only make working out easier on your joints, but it is very quiet too. This makes it the perfect option for your home office and the workplace. You will be able to work during the day and all through the night without disturbing your family or co-workers.
- 8 Calibrated Resistance Settings | Many under desk ellipticals or bikes only come with a few resistance settings making it too easy or too hard to use comfortably. This unit comes with 8 different settings to ensure you are getting the best workout possible.
- Full-Day Display | There are a lot of under desk ellipticals or bikes that have the basic requirements. However, this isn’t just any under desk elliptical. This model has a bright and easy-to-read LCD display. The display keeps track of over 16 hours of activity. The LCD comes with 5 different functions including speed, time, distance, calories, and scan.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
Alternative Top Pick: Cubii Pro
Alternative Top Pick
The Cubii Pro was an easy runner up. It is the perfect option for someone working in small spaces or someone who loves new technology.
This is one of the most technologically advanced under desk ellipticals, while also being one of the easiest to use.
If you are short on space, you can’t go wrong with this design. Many of the under-desk ellipticals are big and bulky to get the ergonomics right. However, this Cubii Pro is designed to take up the least amount of space possible. It was designed specifically to be used while sitting, and the step pattern is so low you won’t need to worry about banging your knees.
What We Like:
- Fitness Tracking | Fitness tracking is all the rage these days. Nothing pushes you harder than knowing you can beat yesterday’s steps by 100 more or burn a few extra calories than yesterday. There are a few under-desk elliptical and bikes that track fitness but none do it quite like this. The Cubii Pro syncs all of your steps, distance, and calories burned with your smartphone as well as your Fitbit or Apple Health Kit.
- The Quietest Elliptical | Every home and office elliptical claims to be the quietest, but this might just be it and there are a few contributing factors. For starters, those who have used it can’t stop talking about it. The stepper is borderline silent which can be very beneficial when working in an open cubicle or the common area with your family. Additionally, the low impact ultra-smooth gearing system reduces stress on your joints which also reduces noise.
- Easy-To-Use | This unit might seem daunting to those who aren’t all that good with technology. However, it actually might be the perfect option for you if that is the case. There is no LCD screen or fancy buttons on the machine. You simply start it up and get to work. All of the information automatically syncs with your smartphone so you don’t have to worry about a thing.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
Best Budget Option: Vaunn Medical Folding Pedal Exerciser with Electronic Display
Best Budget Option
Technology, features, smart syncing, these are all great options. However, for some people, they prefer simple, no gimmicks, and straight to the point. For those who are looking for a more affordable option that will still get the job done, look no further.
The Vaunn Medical Folding Pedal Exerciser is a fantastic option for various reasons. For starters, it was designed as a medical device which can be beneficial. It was created with health and wellness in mind. Whether you are training for a marathon, trying to lower your cholesterol, or exercising an old injury, the professionals have your back on this unit.
What We Like:
- Folding | Storage is something we all struggle with these days. When it comes to an under-desk elliptical or bike, many of us just don’t have space. This is where having something mobile comes in handy. Under the desk is usually reserved for your filing cabinet. Being able to simply roll out the filing cabinet and roll in the folding exerciser is convenient. Additionally, if you have to take it to and from work, this makes it easier to store in the car but also transport in and out of the building.
- Safety Features | Designed as a medical device, there should be no surprise that the safety features appealed to us. The rubber feet are ribbed with a non-skid material so that it will never fall or slip during use. These feet will provide enough traction to keep the unit stable on various flooring types. If you are trying to heal an injury, this is essential.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the main reason for using an under-desk elliptical or bike?
The increase in office jobs has led to a growing concern about the health risks involved. Every job comes with its risks, whether you are working in construction and dealing with dangerous machinery or working an office job and not using the right equipment.
Throughout the years, there have been various studies that have linked stationary office jobs with specific health problems. The longer you are sitting, the more problems you risk getting. These include obesity, increased blood pressure, high cholesterol, and blood sugar levels, and more. Using an under-desk elliptical or bike can drastically reduce some of these risks and improve your overall health throughout the day.
Are they safe to use with injuries?
This depends entirely on the injury. Many injuries can benefit from the use of an under-desk elliptical or bike. Certain injuries that require this type of equipment for physical therapy could find that doing it while at work makes it a lot easier. However, you should always consult with a doctor’s health care practitioner before using any type of exercise equipment with an injury.
What are the main benefits you will experience when using an under-desk elliptical or bike?
A lot of the benefits you will experience while using an under-desk elliptical or bike are the same you would find with using the regular version of them. However, some of the main benefits include burning a lot of calories or fat. Obesity is a worry with an office job and burning calories or fat while working is the perfect way to prevent that.
Another benefit is you exercise the joints that might be put under stress during the workday. When you sit in the same position for hours and hours, your joints become stiff and under stress. Using an under-desk elliptical or bike will help keep those joints moving and healthy.
Additionally, you might not be looking to lose any weight or increase your athleticism but it will happen. Using an under-desk elliptical or bike will boost your overall stamina. If you are a runner or an athlete in any type of sport you might find that using this type of equipment every single day at work allows you to run or bike further than before.
Do under desk ellipticals require a power outlet?
This is one of the best aspects of an under desk elliptical or bike. No, you do not require a power outlet for many of the models on the market. Cords are messy and quite frankly, they are becoming more and more out of date as the days go by. Most under desk ellipticals and bikes will require a battery of some sort to operate the LCD display or to sync your fitness progress to your laptop or smart device. However, if you are choosing a basic model, some of them won’t even require a battery!
Other Worthy Mentions
These are ones that didn’t quite cut as one of the top picks but are still interesting enough to be worth a look.
The Stamina InMotion E100 Compact Strider is a fantastic option that had to make the list somewhere. It is affordable, portable, quiet, adjustable, and comes with a host of different features.
- The Adjustable Tension With Monitor
- Multiple Movement Options
- Portable and Quiet